‘Spinach Roulade’ simply means Rolled Spinach. You will be amazed at how simple this spinach dish is, yet has a taste and appearance you can hardly forget with just a slice. Spinach Roulade is characterised by the incorporation of whipped egg white which gives it a light and fluffy consistency, and also a delicious filling of cream cheese and bell peppers which give it a delectable taste.
This dish is adaptable, make it your own by adding your choice of vegetables and spices to give you that satisfaction. It is low in carbs, and vegetarians can do a lot with this simple Spinach Roulade recipe. Invite yourself to a treat!
- 60 gram Dainess Magarine
- 1/3 cup Plain flour
- 1 cup Milk
- 250 gram Packet of frozen spinach, thawed, drained
- 3/4 cup Finely grated parmesan
- 4 eggs, separated
- Rocket leaves to serve
- 6 Sliced prosciutto
- 250 gram Packet cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup Char-grilled capsicum, drained, chopped red and yellow peppers
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to very hot, 220°C. Lightly grease and line a 26 x 32cm Swiss-roll pan with baking paper.
- Melt butter in a saucepan on medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and gradually blend in milk. Return to heat; cook, stirring, until mixture boils and thickens. Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Stir in spinach, parmesan and egg-yolks. Season to taste.
- In a small, clean bowl, using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold gently through the spinach mixture.
- Pour into prepared pan, spreading evenly. Bake 10-12 minutes, or until roulade springs back when touched lightly.
- Line a soft, clean tea towel with baking paper; turn roulade out on to it. Remove paper from roulade. Trim edges and roll it up from its long side, using tea towel as a guide; set aside to cool.
- To make the filling, place 3 slices prosciutto on a baking tray. Bake 4-5 minutes, until crisp. Drain on paper towel. Break into pieces; set aside.
- In a small bowl, using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth; stir in capsicum and mustard.
- Unroll roulade. Spread with cheese mix. Cover with uncooked prosciutto; re-roll, without the tea towel. Serve in slices topped with crispy prosciutto and rocket.