The perfect breakfast is one served with Braided Bread with Cheese and Lemon Curd Filling. All you need is a little effort and a handful of ingredients to make this pretty and scrumptious bread which has been made more interesting by adding rich lemon curd and cream cheese filling.
In this recipe, you get to make your own lemon curd as well, which can later be used as a filling or topping for other pastries and desserts e.g. scones, pancakes, waffles, cakes etc. Braided Bread with Cheese and Lemon Curd Filling can be served at breakfast, brunch or as a dessert. Try this recipe and have a wonderful bread experience.
For the bread dough
- Hard flour -500g
- Salt – ½ tsp.
- Sugar -2tbsp
- Dainess yeast -1tsp
- Warm water – 40ml
- Milk -330g
- Eggs -2
- Butter -40g
- Activate the yeast by mixing sugar, yeast and warm water together.
- Mix eggs and milk
- Pour active yeast on the egg mixture.
- Pour sifted flour and salt into mixture, mix well to form a dough.
- Add butter to the mixture and knead well into a smooth dough.
- Leave the dough to prove until it doubles in size.
- Prepare the lemon curd and cream cheese filling following the recipe below.
- Knock the dough back and leave to prove again for 15mins.
- Massage dough and roll flat into rectangle form.
- Stretch the dough again after the 15-minutes rest and roll flat in a rectangle form.
- Make three lines equally on the flattened dough.
- Cut 10 to 12 strips on each side of the dough.
- Place the cream cheese filling in the middle and spread it along the length of the dough and then spread the lemon curd on top.
- Fold the end of dough by taking each side of dough for braiding alternately.
- Place on baking pan, cover and leave to prove for 30 minutes
- Egg wash and bake at 190.C for 15 minutes.
For the cream cheese:
- Cream cheese -250g
Whip cream cheese and chill in the refrigerator.
For the lemon curd:
- Egg – 3
- Sugar – 150g
- Lemon juice – 80ml
- Butter (softened) -55g
- Lemon zest -5g
- Heavy cream -120ml
- Whisk together eggs, sugar and lemon juice in a mixing bowl over hot water in a
Bain-marie for 10 minutes, until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and pass through a fine sieve.
- Cut butter into small pieces and whisk into the mixture until well melted
- Stir in zest and cover with cling film immediately, till cool.
- To make it lighter, whip 120ml of heavy cream and fold into the curd.