Premier league wrap up: Hearts hammered, Kotoko taste first victory, as WAFA make piece meal of Liberty


On Saturday, Accra Hearts of Oak were handed a humiliating defeat by AshGold at their adopted Cape Coast Sports Stadium.

A goal each from James Akaminko, Amos Addai and Shafiwu Mumuni reduced the home side to the level of a toothless bulldog that can only bark but not bite.

The Miners started slowly, with the Phobians showing glimpses of dominance only for the visitors to up their game by controlling the game.

James Akaminko shot the visitors ahead under just eight minutes into the game after pouncing on a rebound from a Godfred Asiamah corner kick, to give the visitors the opener.

Hearts of Oak pushed for the equaliser before the break, but it was AshGold who had the best chances to increase their tally.

The two sides returned from the break with Hearts looking more energetic than AshGold, but it was the Miners who found the back of the net for a second time.

It started with Amos Addai taking on his marker on the right side of the Hearts defence and slotted home a beautiful curler to send coach CK Akonnor’s side into a wild jubilation on the 60th minute.

The relentless Phobians kept knocking until new signing Joseph Esso blasted a bullet in the 75th minute to reduce the tally to 2-1.

Just as the Phobians were pushing for the equaliser, Prince Owusu, who had replaced Amos Addai, took on Evans Quao, turned him inside out before sending a nice cross for an unmarked Shafiwu Mumuni to head home the third goal for the visitors.

The win over Hearts is the second straight win of the season for AshGold after their opening day victory over Wa All Stars.

Wa All Stars, after losing their first encounter of the season two weeks ago, were held to a goalless draw by Ebusua Dwarfs at the Malik Jabir Stadium on Sunday.

The former League champoins, began the game more determined to break the deadlock by controlling the pace of the match.

But the visitors had other ideas as they came into the match brimming with confidence following their 1-0 win over Berekum Chelsea in their last game.

Despite being under enormous pressure from the hosts, Ebusua Dwarfs held their own as they curtailed all the attacks to the frustration of the home fans.

Wa All Stars came back from recess with the same desire and started the game with great intensity and nearly got their noses in front through Ishahaku Zakari but his effort was thwarted by goalkeeper Frank Andoh.

Midway through the half hour mark, Dwarfs came into the match strongly but failed to create any clear cut chance.

Both sides displayed attacking intent but could not find the back of the net.

In Berekum, a late strike by Stephen Amankona prevented Chelsea from tasting their second consecutive defeat of the season.

Chelsea, who were pipped 1-0 by Ebusua Dwarfs in their season opener, were gunning to pick their first maximum points in front of their boisterous home fans.

The Blues made incursions in the first half with some beautiful display but failed to create any meaningful opportunities.

Dreams FC took charge of the game midway through the first half and created some decent chances but the back-line of the hosts stood resolute to the test.

The second half started on a balance as both sides went in search of the initiative but it was Dreams FC who drew first blood courtesy Samuel Pimpong’s 55th minute strike.

The hosts went in search for the leveler as they attacked with pace and power but the visitors had other ideas by defending solidly.

With the game set to end in a win for the visitors, Chelsea dug deep and found the equalizer through Stephen Amankona in the 90th minute to save his side’s blushes.

The draw takes Dreams FC to 4th on the league standings with four points while Berekum Chelsea climb to 11th on the log.

Defending league champions Aduana Stars picked a point off Elmina Sharks in their first league game of the season after playing a goalless draw at the Ndoum Sports Stadium on Sunday.

Sharks got off to a fine start as they aimed to bounce back from last defeat at Dreams FC.

Despite the hosts having much of the ball, they failed to break the Fire Boys defense as they were limited to shooting from afar.

After a shaky start to the game, the visitors responded strongly by pushing more bodies forward for the killer blow.

And just as the visitors began dominating play, the game was halted for close to eight minutes after goalkeeper Richard Attah was left unconscious on the deck following a challenge from Aduana Stars striker Yahaya Mohammed.

On the stroke of half time, Yahaya Mohammed nearly broke the deadlock, but his thumping header was grasped by goalkeeper Richard Attah.

Sharks returned from recess with the same level of intensity and tried to make incursion in the second half but were always short at the third half of the pitch.

Both sides failed to find the back of the net after the 90 minutes.

The result takes Sharks to 13th on the table with one point, while Aduana 10th but still with a game at hand.


Asante Kotoko secured their first win of the season after beating Inter Allies 1-0 at the Baba Yara stadium in Kumasi.

Striker Obed Owusu scored the only goal in the 56th minute. Owusu headed home from close range after a brilliant cross from winger Emmanuel Gyamfi.

Both sides failed to create glaring chances in first half, but the better team was Inter Allies.

However, Kotoko started the second half well and dominated the Capelli Boys and Obed Owusu broke the deadlock.

The goal provoked Allies to come out of their shells to force an equaliser but Paa Kwesi Fabin’s men remained resolute to claim maximum points.

The biggest result of the week came from the Liberty versus WAFA game. WAFA SC were at their clinical best to record a 3-1 win over Liberty Professionals on the road for their first ever win in Dansoman.

All four goals were scored in the second half, with youngster Aminu Mohammed getting his second goal in two games.


WAFA could have gone ahead before the half time whistle but strikers Aminu Mohammed and Daniel Lomotey were profligate.

Lomotey went on a run and outwitted Simon Zibo to enter the box, but his shot missed the target narrowly.

In the 25th minute, Aminu collected a pass from midfield and was clear on goal but he delayed and his shot was deflected by Zibo.

Liberty came close on the half hour mark when captain Tamimu Muntari skied a free-kick inside the penalty area.

Just into the second half, WAFA goalkeeper Richmond Ayi made a superb save to deny Muntari’s header on a cross from the left.

Five minutes into the half, Mohammed opened the scoring when he connected home after goalkeeper Ganiyu Shaibu spilled Daniel Lomotey’s low cross from the right.

Just after the hour mark, substitite Richard Danso fires in the second at the far post after the ball was cushioned down by Fofana.

Augustine Boakye did the damage on the right before sending in a cross.

Liberty tried to salvage the situation but substitute Ernest Papa Arko attempt could only find the side-net.

In the 89th minute, another substitute Charles Boateng profited froma mistake inside the hosts box and the former Ghana U20 striker rolled the ball over to make it three-nil.

In stoppage time, Brite Andoh headed in a cross from the right with goalkeeper Ayi flat-footed.

For Liberty, it is a bad start after their season opener against Aduana was postponed due to the latter’s involvement in the CAF Champions League qualifier second leg.

Elsewhere, wewcomers Karela United FC were held to a 1-1 stalemate by fellow debutants Eleven Wonders FC in their first ever premier league game at home in Nzema Aiyinase.

Coach Johnson Smith handed debut to midfielder Saddique Alhassan.

Isaac Kwain replaced injured Godfred Saka in the first half to also make his debut.

Eleven Wonders FC made their early dominance count in the 12th minute when Abdul Wahab headed home a corner to put them in the lead.

The home side reacted quickly by dominating possession just after they conceded the goal.

In the 29th minute, William Opoku Mensah equalized proceedings for the Nzema Aiyinase based outfit.

Karela United FC couldn’t capitalize on their second half dominance to clinch all the three points in their first ever home game in the top-flight.

The “Pride and Passion” side will make a trip to Obuasi to face leaders Ashanti Gold SC on Wednesday.

Leave a Reply