KUO Fire Safety donates to KBTH


KUO Fire Safety Company Limited, as part of its corporate social responsibility, has donated fire extinguishers worth over GH¢8,000 to fire victims hospitalised for their injuries at the National Reconstructive Plastic Surgery and Burns Centre of the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital (KBTH) in Accra.

Beneficiaries of the kind gesture were fire victims who had successfully received treatment and are ready for discharge.

According to the Health and Safety Manager of the company, Abraham Nana Eshun, the purpose of the gesture is to provide the patients with fire extinguishers for use in their homes and workplaces while training them on its use as well as educating them on basic fire detection and prevention skills.

Presenting the fire extinguishers to the patients, he said: “Every 23rd April is set aside by the International Labour Organization (ILO) to mark world day for health and safety at work. Being one of Ghana’s best fire-safe companies, we have decided to associate with this year’s celebration on the theme ‘A Safe and Healthy Working Environment is a Fundamental Principle and Right at Work.

Highlighting some of its past contributions toward fire safety in Ghana, he said KUO had educated and donated fire safety equipment to staff and students at Armed Forces Senior High School at Burma camp in Accra and had replicated the gesture in some communities of Nima and Adabraka, adding that: “We are ready and willing to provide our services to whoever needs them”.

One of the beneficiaries of the donation, Mr. Ibrahim Tanko, thanked the fire safety company for providing him with an extinguisher, indicating: “I will, from now on, take fire safety education seriously”.

Principal Nursing Officer and Unit Head at the hospital’s Burns Department, Madam Sarfoah Ampong, receiving the donation on behalf of the fire victims, expressed appreciation to KUO for the kind gesture, saying: “This is one in a million. For a long time, we have not gotten safety equipment companies coming around to donate or to help patients who are on admission. We are so grateful”.

Mr. Eshun urged Ghanaians to be always proactive and fire safety-conscious in their homes and workplaces.

Leave a Reply