Chicken Curry is an incredibly flavourful sauce, thanks to all the spices and the touch of coconut milk which gives it a deliciously rich taste. If there is a sauce that is irresistible that you can easily serve with steamed rice, potato, yam etc., then that is just what you are about to prepare. You will love this Chicken Curry recipe because it is simple and makes a great meal for the family. Feel free to toss in your favourite vegetable because it will still taste amazing.
- Fresh ginger, fine dice -60 g
- Turmeric, ground – 8 ml
- Coriander seeds, ground – 8 ml
- Cumin seeds, ground -5 ml
- Cayenne pepper – 5 ml
- Fenugreek, ground -2 ml
- Coconut milk, unsweetened – 540 ml
- Onions, small dice -240 g
- Garlic, crushed -10 ml
- Ghee or clarified butter – 30 ml
- Roasting chicken -1.4 kg, cut in 8 pieces 1 1
- Salt – 5 ml
- Green chilies, split lengthwise- 3
- Lemon juice -30 ml
- To make the wet masala, mix the ginger, turmeric, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cayenne pepper and fenugreek; add just enough of the coconut milk to form a paste.
- Stir-fry the onions and garlic in the ghee until the onions are golden brown.
- Add the wet masala to the onions and stir-fry for 8 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces and cook, turning them frequently, for 6–8 minutes.
- Add the remaining coconut milk, salt and chilies. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook until the chicken is done, approximately 45 minutes.
- Just before service, stir in the lemon juice and adjust the seasonings. Serve with steamed rice and a chutney.