Man electrocuted in Labone died in the line of duty—La Dade-Kotopon Assembly clarifies


The La Dade-Kotopon Municipal Assembly has reacted to a viral video on the death of a young man who was electrocuted while purporting to be hanging party flag on a light pole in Labone, in the Greater Accra region.

According to Assembly, the deceased, Mr. Richard Buenortey, was an electrician of the La Dade-Kotopon Municipal Assembly who unfortunately died in the line of duty, contrary to information making rounds that he died while engaging in party duties.

A statement from the Assembly explained that the deceased and his team were tasked to undertake an installation of the Assembly’s share of 300 streetlight bulbs from the Greater Accra Regional Coordinating Council.

They commenced the installation works on November 12, 2020. Until his untimely death at Labone on Wednesday, November 18, 2020, the team had installed 276 streetlight bulbs in six out of ten Electoral Areas in the Municipality.

“By this release, we wish to set the records straight that, Richard Buenortey died in the line of duty, and that the general public should ignore the news making rounds on Social media and in the mainstream media that “A man dies while fixing a party flag on a light pole”. This caption purports to twist the fact of his unfortunate death must be ignored,” the statement said.

Attached is the full statement from the La Dade-Kotopon Municipal Assembly.


Leave a Reply