Spicy peanut chicken is a classic combination of peanuts, chicken and chillies. Spicy peanut chicken is an easy stir fry dish which gives you the option to create your own variation by tossing in your favourite spice, vegetable or substitute peanut with other kinds of nuts like almond, cashew etc. which blends perfectly well especially for people with peanut allergy. Spicy peanut chicken is a perfect pairing for rice or spaghetti.
- Chicken breast -300g
- Peanut oil -2tbsp
- Shelled peanuts -125g
- Fresh red chilies, sliced -6
- Green bell pepper, sliced -2 medium
- Chicken stock -150ml
- Chinese rice wine or dry sherry-1tbsp
- Light soy sauce -1tbsp
- Brown sugar -1 ½ tsp.
- Garlic, crushed -2 cloves
- Ginger root -1tsp grated
- Rice wine vinegar -1tsp
- Sesame oil -1 tsp.
- Trim any fat off the chicken and cut into medium dice.
- Heat the oil in a sauce pan and add the peanuts and stir fry for a minute. Remove and set aside.
- Add the chicken to the pan and cook for 3 mins, stir in the chili and bell pepper and cook for 1minute. Remove and set aside.
- Put half of the peanuts in a food processor and process until almost smooth or place them in a plastic bag crush them with a rolling pin.
- To make the sauce, add the chicken stock, Chinese rice wine or dry sherry, soy sauce, sugar, garlic, ginger and rice wine vinegar to the pan.
- Heat the sauce without boiling and stir in the peanuts, chicken, chilli and bell pepper.
- Add sesame oil, stir and cook for 1 minute.
Cooking tip; if necessary, process the peanuts with a little of the stock in step 4 to form a softer paste.
- Serve hot with any rice or pasta.