Beef Marengo is a hearty beef stew with distinct flavours from its rich ingredients and the stewing process. This is a chunky stew with beef cubes, mushrooms, pearl onions and tomatoes, making it a great combination of ingredients in terms of flavour and taste. You can create your own variation by replacing the beef with a different protein e.g. chicken and also tossing in your favourite vegetables. Beef Marengo is simple and quick to make, just like your regular sauces, you can have it with pasta, steamed rice, yam etc. Enjoy!
- Beef steak, cut in 2-in.cubes -1 lb.
- Salt and pepper -To taste
- Flour -As needed for dredging
- Vegetable oil -25 ml
- Clarified butter -45ml
- Onions, medium dice -180 g
- Carrots, medium dice – 150 g
- Garlic cloves, crushed -1
- Tomato paste -15 g or ½ tbsp.
- Flour -1 Tbsp.
- Dry white wine -180 ml
- Brown veal stock – 250 ml
- Bouquet garni:
Carrot stick, 4 in. (10 cm) -1
Leek, split, 4-in. (10-cm) piece-1
Fresh thyme -1 sprig
Bay leaf -1
- Mushrooms, washed and quartered -120 g
- Tomatoes, diced -240 g
- Pearl onions, boiled and peeled-12
- Season the beef cubes with salt and pepper and dredge in flour.
- Heat a heavy-bottomed 8-quart (8-liter) sauce pan over medium heat. Add 1 fluid ounce (30 milliliters) oil and 1 fluid ounce (30 milliliters) clarified butter to the pan. Add the beef and cook, browning well on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Add 1½ fluid ounces (45 milliliters) clarified butter and sauté the onions, carrots and garlic without coloring. Stir in the tomato paste and return the veal to the pan. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) flour and cook to make a roux.
- Add the wine, stock and bouquet garni to the pan; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until the meat is tender, approximately 1½ hours.
- Sauté the mushrooms until dry in the remaining oil and butter without browning. Add the tomatoes to the pan and sauté over high heat for 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and reserve.
- When the beef is tender, remove it from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside. Strain the sauce. Return the sauce to the pan and bring it to a boil. The sauce should be the consistency of a light cream sauce. Adjust the consistency of the sauce by reducing it on the stove top or by adding additional brown veal stock.
- Return the beef to the sauce along with the mushrooms, tomatoes and pearl onions. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Adjust the seasonings before serving.