- Ground beef -1 lb.
- Onion, chopped -150g
- Red wine -100g
- Diced tomatoes, undrained -100g
- Tomato paste -2 tbsp.
- Stock [white or brown] -500g
- All-purpose seasoning -1 ½ tsp
- Green pepper diced -1 medium
- Salt -1 tsp
- Pepper -1/2 tsp
- Cayenne pepper -1/4 tsp
- Butter -2 tbsp.
- All-purpose flour -3 tbsp.
- Salt -1 tsp
- Pepper -1/4 tsp
- Milk -1 liter
- Dainess Nutmeg [ optional] -½ tsp
- Oil -1tbsp
- Onion -50g
- Garlic -2 cloves
- tomatoes -250g
- Oregano -½ tsp
- Thyme -½ tsp
- Salt and pepper – To taste
- Shredded mozzarella cheese, divided -200g
- Lasagna sheets or noodles, cooked -1pack
- Cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink, add wine and allow to reduce to half then tomatoes, tomato paste, stock and seasonings. Cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes, add flour to thicken sauce if needed and green pepper. Stirring occasionally. Cook further for about 10 to 15mins.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large saucepan, stir in the flour until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Remove from the heat and stir in half of the cheese and set aside.
- Put oil in a pot on fire and add onion and garlic then sauté, add tomatoes and cook for about 10mins, season with oregano, thyme salt and pepper to taste.
- Start by layering the bottom of a greased baking dish with enough noodles to cover the bottom
- Spread the red sauce over the noodles, followed by the white sauce and beef sauce, spreading all to the edges.
- Top with another layer of noodles, then red sauce and white sauce
- Add the final layer of noodles, then white sauce and cheese. Spread the red sauce as garnish on top of cheese. Bake for 30 minute or until the top is browned nicely. Allow the lasagna to sit or rest for 15-20 minutes before serving.