COVID-19: This week is critical to our future survival – Prez

President Akufo-Addo

President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has said this week would be critical in Ghana’s fight against the growing epidemic, Coronavirus (COVID-19), as the nation waits for the results of some 15,000 tests made via contact tracing last week.

According to him, the results of these persons will tell whether the partial lockdown will be extended across the country or a total lockdown will be enforced.

In his address to the nation on Sunday, April 5, 2020, the President revealed that out of 19,276 persons that were reached through contact tracing, 15,384 of them have undergone testing and awaiting results for the Coronavirus disease.

“Efforts at contact tracing have been ramped up over the course of the past week. We are, thus, about to enter a critical phase of our fight in the coming week, as the Ghana Health Service is due to receive the results of some 15,384 out of 19,276 persons who have been reached through contact tracing,” he said.

But the President assured that for every confirmed case of COVID-19, all the contacts have been listed, monitored and tracked, adding that some 804 persons who were under quarantine have been released to be with their families. “These were among the 1,030 travelers who were mandatorily quarantined and tested on their arrival in Ghana on March 21-22,” he added.

See Also:  Real-time interbank transfer volumes up by 244%

Giving more information, the President said out of the 1,030 travelers, 79 were initially found to be positive, and appropriate arrangements were made for their isolation and treatment.

“Subsequently, after 12 further days of quarantine, 26 other persons were found to be positive as a result of their second test, bringing the total number of those found to be positive to one hundred and five 105, all of whom have been isolated for treatment,” he added.

The President added that out of the remaining 925 persons, who have undergone two tests and found to be negative, 804 have been released from quarantine to join their families.

Partial lockdown

To curb the spread of the virus, the President, on March 27, announced a two-week partial lockdown of Accra, Tema, Kumasi, and Kasoa. The directive, which was met with mixed feelings from citizens has, according to Information Minister, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, contributed to the ease of tracing and testing of the disease and minimized it’s spread as well.

Border closure

Also, about two weeks ago, the President announced a two-week closure of Ghana’s borders from Sunday, March 22 to April 5, 2020, however, the President extended the border closure for another two weeks, from April 5 to April 19, 2020, in order to effectively combat the Coronavirus disease in the country.

See Also:  1D1F: Wenchi gets metal fabrication company

Ghana’s cases

As of Monday, 4 pm, Ghana has recorded 214 confirmed cases of the Coronavirus disease with five deaths. All five deaths had underlying chronic medical conditions prior to the COVID-19 infection.

Last week, the Minister for Health, Kwaku Agyeman-Manu announced that 31 confirmed cases of COVID-19 out of the 152 persons receiving treatment have recovered. According to him, the health of the 31 persons, has significantly improved with no symptoms and have been discharged from admission for home care pending repetition of laboratory tests.

The minister noted that the 31 will, however, be kept in isolation and monitored for about four weeks and a series of tests will be conducted before they are declared as fully recovered. He added that 18 of the COVID-19 patients were earlier announced as being managed from home which brought the number of cases on home care to 49.

 

vote
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments