The 47th Annual Conference and General Assembly Meetings of the African Insurance Organisation (AIO) scheduled for Lagos, Nigeria, from May 31 – June 3, 2020 has been postponed.
A letter sighted by B&FT and signed by Ms. Delphine Maidou Traor – President, and Jean Baptiste Ntukamazina – Secretary General, of the organisation respectively states that :
“The Executive Committee met this day 20 March, 2020 to deliberate on holding the General Assembly of the African Insurance Organisation (AIO) initially scheduled for Lagos, Read thus:”
- After observing the current situation related to the COVID-19 pandemic,
- Taking into consideration the position of the Local Organising Committee which concluded that it was inadvisable to continue with the plan to hold the General Assembly on the dates initially planned,
The Executive Committee informs the members and stakeholders of the AIO of the following:
- The General Assembly has been moved to the month of October, 2020 – tentatively from 3 to 7 October in Lagos, Nigeria.
- Concerning Delegates who have already registered and paid, their payments will be automatically carried forward to the Conference and General Assembly scheduled for October 2020.
- The 2020 African Reinsurance Forum has been moved to next year, 2021. The 2020 African Reinsurance Forum that has been cancelled will be held in Kigali, Rwanda, in 2021.
- Similarly, the Forum initially scheduled to be held in Lomin 2021 will be organised in 2022 in Lom
However, the Executive Committee will continue to monitor the situation and shall inform members in case of any development.
Indeed, the Executive Committee and AIO Secretariat says they will take this opportunity to send a message of support and solidarity to all members and partners who are affected in one way another by the coronavirus (COVID -19), they concluded.